Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ry's 6th Grade Science Fair Project

Title:

THE POWER OF POWERBAIT

Question:

Out of three different colors of PowerBait, Orange, Green, and Pink, which color will
work the best for catching Trout at the R** Pond?

Hypothesis:

My favorite color of PowerBait to use fishing is the orange PowerBait. I will use orange and two other colors. The most popular color and most commonly used PowerBait is green. I will randomly choose another color and test all three colors against each other. I think orange will work the best!

Materials:

•Pink PowerBait • Green PowerBait • Orange PowerBait
• 3 Fishing Poles • 6 Pound Test Line • Sliding Sinkers
• Swivels • Hooks • Utah State Fishing License

Procedure:

With the help of my Grandpa, who has a two pole fishing license, I will fish with three different fishing poles in the Pond at the same time. Each fishing pole will have a different color of PowerBait on each hook. My Grandpa and I will fish for two hours and see which color of PowerBait catches the most Trout.

Research:


Data Table:

Results:

After my experiment I found that both pink and green caught
the most Trout. My favorite color to use,
orange, did not do the best.

Next Time:

Next time I will try my experiment with all three colors of PowerBait again, but I would test on a cloudy/overcast day and again when it is sunny. I wonder if the most successful color of PowerBait is different with the different types of weather.


Science Fair at School

Awarded from at the School

Went on to complete at District Level at Weber State University
Only students who took 1st, 2nd or 3rd place
were invited to the ceremony!

Invitation to the Awards Ceremony!

Awarded at District Level

Then Ry's project moved onto Regional Level
(W. School District and D. School District)
also at Weber State University!

At Regional Ry was awarded this fabulous wooden
plaque. We're not exactly sure why or what
it is for, lol....maybe 4th place? About six kids, in his
category_Zoology, were given paper certificates
(Excellence and Honorable Mention) before he was called.
Then Ry and one other kid was called up and
given this "plaque award"....then they gave out 3rd, 2nd,
and 1st place (wooden plaque with prize money). He was thrilled
with the award and Joel and I are thrilled the
Science Fair is finally over ;) Ry went as high as they
can compete at the Elementary Level.

I am so proud of him. It was totally unexpected that he would
continue to move up with his PowerBait experiment.
I can say that Ry is VERY passionate about
fishing and is a complete charmer ;)

CONGRATULATIONS RY!