Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grandpa Slater & the Utah State Capitol

~ Utah State Capitol Rotunda ~
(For my Journal)

"The building's second floor, often referred to as the main floor, has retained much of its historic appearance over the years. This floor also serves as the first level of the three-story-tall rotunda and atrium area. The rotunda is directly in the center of the building, under the dome. The interior ceiling of the dome, which reaches 165 feet (50 m) above the floor, includes a large painting by artist William Slater. The mural includes seagulls flying amongst clouds, and was choose because the California gull is Utah's official state bird and represents the Miracle of the gulls from Utah's history."
-- Utah State Capitol Guide Book

"In the spring of 1934, I joined the Painter's Union and went to work for the Floyd Dern Decorating Company. I painted the State Capitol inside the dome where the seagulls show. Two fellows were supposed to help me on the high dome, however, they would not go out on the scaffold after I erected it. So I did all the work and they played cards. It was a t.m. job, so Dern did not care how long it took. I was painting at the capitol for about one month while finishing the dome. I was made foreman for painting the rest of the capitol building. I also painted Success Markets, Z.C.M.I., Federal Reserve Bank, Auerbachs, and other places. . . .

--The Life and Times of William Earl Slater
Written by: William Earl Slater, Complied and Typed by: (Aunt) Lynne Slater Turner


Grandpa & Grandma Slater in 1934

William Earl Slater (1/31/1906 -- 12/13/1986)
Emma Maudella Merritt Slater (? -- 9/10/1972)

~ Grandpa as I remember him ~